Here are some of my favorite articles by the Old-School D&D blogosphere.
DM Style Guides (DMs describe how they run D&D)
- How to Awesome-up Your Players
- Building a Better GM
- Swiss Referee Style Guide/Halberds and Helmets
- Hazard System
- Bryce Lynch’s Adventure Design Tips Summarized and Explained
- Last Gasp Grimoire
Getting Started in D&D
- D&D isn’t a Game, it’s Games
- Picaro and the “Story” of D&D
- Phylotomy’s Musings: Why the original edition of D&D (The White Box) was written the way it was.
- On the Oracular Power of Dice
- An Introduction to Sandbox Play
- Quick Primer for Old School Gaming
- Why D&D Has Lots of Rules for Combat
- Analog, Digital, Procedural
- My Trinity of Old School Gaming (Part 1) (Part 2) (Part 3)
- XP for Loot in D&D
- Game Design as Common Law
- Ride the Iceberg
- The Death of the Wandering Monster Table
- The West Marches: The article that launched a thousand sandbox games.
- Building Houses for Murderhoboes
- The Links to Wisdom
- OSR-Style Challenges: “Rulings Not Rules” is Insufficient
- Old School Space vs New School Time
- The Hidden Laws the Govern RPG Universes: Also great for designing adventures.
Running the Game
- The Quantum Ogre
- How to make non-combat encounters feel as interesting as combat
- Combat as Sport vs. Combat as War
- Why I Love Simple Initiative
- The Open Table Manifesto
Adventures, Challenges, and Situations
- 100 Problem & Puzzle Set-ups
- 1d122 OSR-Style Challenges
- How Do I Break This Curse?
- Party like it’s 999
- So You’ve Decided To Rest In Town Before Going Back Into The Dungeon!
- Where The Hell Have You Been, Flake?
- Zak’s EZ Adventure-Making Chart
- Don’t Prep Plots
- How Do We Start This Crazy Adventure?
- d50 Puzzle Monster Death Requirements
- Solving 20 “Black Door” challenges
- Jaquaying the Dungeon
- Dungeon Layout, Map Flow and Old-School game Design
- The “One-More-Idea” Method
- What is Tested?
- The Elementary Principles of Dungeon Design and a follow-up Dungeon Mapping
- Die-Drop Instadungeon – (online version here)
- Tricks, Empty Rooms, & Basic Trap Design
- Stock The Dungeon With Rooms That Don’t Suck, Fast
- The Ice and Ruin Dungeon Maker
- Cyclic Dungeon Generation
- How to Build a Dungeon
- Quality Dungeons
- Megadungeon Resources
- Interesting and useful Dungeon Descriptions
- d20 Traps
- 51 Black Doors
- Dispelling a Myth – Sandbox Prep
- A Method For making a D&D Sandbox
- How to Make a Fantasy Sandbox (Very in-depth)
- Have a Nicer Trip
- A Procedure for Exploring the Wilderness
- Ecosystem Generator
- In Praise of the Six-Mile Hex
- Text Mapper, By Alex Shroeder
Items, Tools, and Treasure